Are you struggling with your last minute holiday shopping list? When you are trying to think of what gifts to give the special people in your life, why not consider giving experiential gifts? Scientific research suggests that money is better spent on life experiences as opposed to material items. A study at Cornell University revealed that experiential and material purchases are about the same as far as the amount you spend, but the outcomes are quite different. As time passes, the overall satisfaction with material items decreases. A gift of life experience, on the other hand, provides satisfaction that increases over time.
Read on to learn about the benefits of giving experiential gifts plus a few tips.
Experiences Are More Awesome
The potential to create memories that last a lifetime is undeniable when you give an experience as a gift. Make the experience something you know a person has been wanting to do or that they love doing. Whether they haven’t gone because it’s too expensive or they’ve been “too busy,” gifting them the experience will undoubtedly increase their happiness.
Experiences Strengthen Relationships
Of course, when you gift someone an experience, it’s important that the gift is for two people or more. We live in times when relationships suffer from our obsessions with smartphones, social media, and all kinds of sophisticated technology. Life is more meaningful when experiences are shared with others. An experience could even recharge a relationship that needed refreshing. Giving an experiential gift can be a truly rewarding experience, as well as a way to spend time together.
Experiences are Perfect for the Person Who Has Everything
It can be agonizing trying to figure out what to buy someone who already has it all. Instead of another “thing,” how about gifting someone golf lessons, concert tickets, parasailing, or a sunset cruise? Is skydiving on someone’s bucket list? Set them up with a skydiving adventure! Of course, helping them learn a new skill can also be an amazing gift. A gift certificate to learn Aikido is always on the top of our list!
Tips on Gifting Experiences
An experience must be given very thoughtfully. For example, it could be embarrassing to give a trip to a wine tasting to someone who never drinks alcohol. A few more helpful tips follow:
- If you aren’t sure, try to find out whether the person prefers city adventures or excursions in nature.
- Gift experiences in which virtually all costs are covered so the recipient won’t be burdened with expenses that may not fit their budget.
- Don’t overthink it. If you feel that a person would really enjoy the experience you have in mind for them, go for it! You’ll likely find out before all is said and done that experiential gifts are often the best of all gifts.
Examples of Giving Experiential Gifts
Still not sure what experiential gifts may encompass? The following are more ideas:
- Tickets to a culinary tour
- Tickets to see a new movie
- Ice skating tickets
- Improv tickets to watch a comedy show
- All-access passes for laser tag, bowling, and arcades
- Rent a cabin or campsite at a campground or National Park for a weekend of camping
- Book an escape room
- And of course, you can’t go wrong introducing someone to the wonderful world of Aikido!
Aikido Classes at Shin-Gane
The gift of self-defense may be the perfect way to say you care. Shin-Gane Aikido has offered training classes in Maplewood MO since 2008. There are numerous benefits to practicing Aikido, including aerobic conditioning and increased balance, coordination, and reaction time. Contact us today to learn more! Visit 3532 Greenwood Blvd or call 314-799-1998 to give yourself or someone else the gift of Aikido classes.