Train with a Certified Aikido Instructor
Whether you’re interested in learning self-defense or curious about a new martial arts practice, you can learn aikido at your own pace here at Shin-Gane. Aikido, a Japanese martial art developed in the early 20th century, teaches you discipline that will give you confidence in real-world situations. This practice offers self-defense, cardio exercise, and flexibility – for some practitioners, it even becomes a lifestyle.
Our Sensei, Mike Swederska, has received black belt certification from Aikikai Foundation Aikido Hombu Dojo, the original aikido school in Japan. With twenty years of aikido training, Mike has taught students for nearly a decade. While it may be possible to get tips from the internet, he says, nothing takes the place of one-on-one practice with an experienced and certified sensei.
Shin-Gane Charges Per Six-Week Session
Other area dojos lock you into a year-long contract. Not Shin-Gane. We focus on your interest level and well-being. We believe in the power of our practice and feel that it speaks for itself. That’s why we charge on a six-week basis. We feel strongly that, after six weeks, you’ll begin to see how valuable aikido training can be to your life.
- Webster Groves residents pay $69.00 per 6-week session
- Non-residents pay $79.00 per 6-week session
- There is no break between sessions
- New students may schedule a free introductory session, or simply observe
- We offer a registration discount of $10 if you sign up for multiple sessions at once
- Do you train in a different state? Out-of-town guests pay only a $10 visiting mat fee
- We encourage our practitioners to purchase a Gi (uniform) for $85. Dojo patches are available for $15
We’re Proud of our Dojo’s Longevity
Unlike many storefront locations, we’ve trained at the same place for 10 years. Classes are held at the Webster Groves Recreation Complex at 33 E Glendale Road. We offer two classroom sessions per week:
- Tuesday class 6:00 to 8:00 pm
- Wednesday class 7:30 to 9:30 pm
New students are welcome to participate and are urged to join the next available session. We accept students from age 13 to adult. Please note that the first Tuesday and Wednesday of each month are reserved for weapons training. At this time, we are studying five kata of the bokken (wooden sword).
Schedule a Free Introductory Class Today
If you come to one of our free introductory sessions, you’ll walk away with a new understanding and appreciation of the art of aikido. Give us a call or fill out the contact form to get started.